Monday 17 December 2012

Semester 3 and Masters Evaluation...

I can honestly say i am pretty deflated to be typing the evaluation of my Masters in Games Design!
Not only that but my final days in education are now coming to a close and i would be lying if i where to say 'I won't miss it'. However its not all doom and gloom guys!

Ive learnt a MAHOOSIVE amount of techniques and methods during my time on the Ma and even generated theories of creature design! My drawing skills have improved on such a dramatic scale both digitally and traditionally from my time on the B.A in Games Design and the exciting part is that its only going to get better!

My approach to design is more professional, i consider flaws before the initial concept, i rough it out first and most importantly, i think.... I use my gained knowledge of Natural History and Anatomy to make design decisions for my creature designs, which is a knowledge that is only going to become stronger as my career blossoms.

Key techniques learnt include the use of Textures in my designs enhancing the look and believability of a design. Silhouetting; generating random shapes and just seeing what i can do with them! Using the Pen Tool and masking off my image to generate clean cut artwork without the aggro of using the rubber afterwards! Finally the most beneficial has to be Grey Scale, using this method to figure out the basic rendering and building the detail and colour upon that. I believe this has helped me gather a greater understanding of Colour Theory which used to be a bit of a 'grey' area for myself. I have grown more confident in Photoshop than ever before and considering i hadn't used it at all until University i am so pleased with my progress and i know its only going to improve which is an exciting concept for all of us!

Enrolling on the Masters course was easily the greatest decision of my life. Now i actually feel ready to be let loose on the world and continue providing my artwork for people to enjoy, but hopefully on a larger scale in the future... fingers crossed. I know with experience in the industry and within a studio environment my skills will flourish further as i observe the professionals and gain valuable knowledge, methods and techniques from them.

After the Ma experience i finally feel my career has direction, its been a long road to get to this point but wow, it was worth the wait.

Thank you so much for following my journey as a Masters student.

See you somewhere in the future! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment